"Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect - and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean." ~ Bob Marley

J Dilla Mixtape Release Party @ Johnny & Brenda's


R.I.P.
James Dewitt Yancey
aka
"J Dilla"
2/7/74 ~ 2/10/06

Although Dilla is no longer w/ us in the flesh...his music lives on.

two.one.five mag had the Jay $tay Paid mixtape release party last night @ Johnny & Brenda's.

I met up w/ a few friends - Mikey McFly, Drew, Zarinah and DJ Aura were all out. Bee Eaters was in the building - I met MARS through Mikey, it was cool listening to them talk music...

This night made me think back to how I learned of Dilla and what put me on to this hip hop genius. Everyone who knows me knows I am a Roots "Stan", and I mean that in the best, NON-stalkerish, I have every album, I have seen them live 7 times, been to both their picnics kind of way. My favorite Roots album is "Things Fall Apart" (click the link, do your own research!). "Jay Dee" aka J Dilla produced this album released back in '99. The Roots opened my eyes and put me onto Dilla. I've been a fan ever since.

This album was realized through unreleased work Dilla compiled while hospitalized/being treated for lupus. Dilla's idol, Pete Rock, arranged the album and executive production credit goes to Ma Dukes Yancey. 28 tracks of Dilla's work! Black Thought is on there, Havoc & Raekwon...a MUST for all Dilla fans. Those of us who were fortunate enough to attend the release party rec'd a sampler of the CD. I copped it today, but you can buy it HERE.

Here are some flics I took @ the party:

No comments: