"Who are you to judge the life I live? I know I'm not perfect - and I don't live to be. But before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean." ~ Bob Marley

3rd Annual Roots Picnic follow-up

Special THANKS to Tayyib Smith of two.one.five magazine and Rachel F. at Philly 360.  Had a BLAST at the picnic, met lots of cool people, reconnected w/ old friends, got some great shots...dope day for art and music.

You can check out Philly 360's photos, videos, and more HERE

Philly 360°® is a new twist on our African-American tourism marketing campaign. The initiative focuses on expanding the destination’s current visitor base by attracting a new group of African-American travelers who are younger, technologically savvy and driven to an urban destination based on its contemporary cultural offerings, vibrant nightlife scene and overall buzz factor.

Some flics I took that day (and the rest will be over at Couch Sessions):

The lovely and talented, Nikki Jean.  She is one of Philly 360's 2010 Creative Ambassadors


The Legendary ROOTS Crew Lt. Black Thought (he performed on-stage w/ the Money Making Jam Boys and The Roots)
My homies Mark (aka @Carolinaware) and Mr. Phonte Coleman (of Little Brother and The Foreign Exchange).  FE performed at the picnic as well, s-o Aimee, Nic, YahZ, Zo!, Bynum, D-Brock and the entire FE fam.  Always a good time when I run into these guys.  FE's 3rd album will be released soon as well.  Can't wait for that.

Jay Electronica on-stage.  The fans and the other performers went nuts when he took the stage!  He stopped a few times, talked to the crowd, jumped INTO the crowd at one point to stand on the gate in the pit....he did the damn thing.  I'm a HUGE Jay Elec fan and I was not disappointed.  


P.O.R.N. of the Money Making Jam Boys on-stage, DJ Phsh was on the wheels for their set in the background.  If you don't know who MMJB are?  #getfamiliar  They got next.  I've wrote about them before on here, look back through the posts?  Or pay attention the 1st time I tell y'all!
 
John Legend performed on-stage w/ The Roots.  He also brought along his beautiful girlfriend and their dog.  When I saw the dog backstage I was like who's dog is that?!  Lmao.  I should've snapped a pic of the dog too.
Method Man crowd surfing.  The crowd was bananas when Wu came out, everyone had their "W" in the air, they were backed by The Roots band, EPIC performance.  You had to be there.  And if you weren't?  Enjoy my photos over on THE COUCH SESSIONS and check out Philly 360's links (above) as well. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Mel D. Cole of Village Slum photos again...we met in NYC at a show before, but Saturday at the picnic I had the opportunity to really watch him work and talk to him a few times.  He is SO DOPE.  One of my photog idols.  If you have never seen his photos, you need to check em out.  He got a sneaker deal w/ Etnies, he's ?uestlove's fave photog, a huge Slum Village fan and just an all-around dope dude.  *Namaste*



No comments: